Boyana Church "St. St. Nicholas and Panteleimon" is a medieval Bulgarian church (courtyard chapel, later a monastery) in Sofia's Boyana district, at the foot of Vitosha Mountain.
It is one of the cultural symbols of Bulgaria and was included in 1979 as a cultural monument in UNESCO's World Heritage List under No. 42. It is a branch of the National Museum of History since 2003. Here, in 1854, Victor Grigorovich opens The Boyana House of the Bulgarian Kings and Boyan Palimpset - remarkable monuments of the Bulgarian Middle Ages.
The temple is two-storey. It refers to the type of two-storey church-tombs with a lower floor designed for the crypt (tomb) and upper for a family chapel. It is considered a church to the feudal lords' residence, of which she was part.