The Archaeological Museum in Nessebar was founded in 1956 and its first exposition is arranged in the church "St. John the Baptist ". In his new building, built specifically for a museum under the project of Arch. Hristo Koev, he was moved in 1994.
The exhibition "Nessebar through the centuries", in which are presented numerous cultural monuments illustrating the history of ancient Mesambria and the medieval town of Nessebar, is arranged here. The exhibition area of the museum includes a lobby and four halls.
The Diploma, which certifies the entry of Old Nessebar in the List of World Heritage Monuments, has a worthy place in the lobby. That happened on December 9, 1983 at the VII session of the World Heritage Committee, held in Florence, Italy.